The property at 19th and California Streets, on which the present Holy Ghost Church stands, was purchased for nearly $70,000 by Fr. William Neenan, then pastor. Under the architect J. B. Benedict, ground was broken for the new church on February 29, 1924. Less than 1/3 of the envisioned church was completed at its dedication on December 14, 1924. Fr. John Mulroy, Director of Catholic Charities in the archdiocese, became the fourth pastor of Holy Ghost in 1930. With the help of Fr. Jerome Weinert, he began the practice of daily exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, another tradition that endures to this day. Helen G. Bonfils, who had taken an interest in the parish for some years, announced in October 1940 that she would complete the church structure in memory of her parents. Three hundred tons of Colorado colocreme travertine marble beautify the walls and columns of the church, making it the largest collection of this stone in the United States.
Of the many priests who have served Holy Ghost over the years, none is more beloved than Fr. C. B. Woodrich, better known as “Fr. Woody.” He was a priest in residence at Holy Ghost while still editor of the Denver Catholic Register in the 1970’s. After becoming pastor in 1978, he became more and more the champion of the poor and homeless in Denver. He opened the church for the homeless on cold winter nights and helped to found the Samaritan House shelter for the homeless. In 1985 he instituted our annual Christmas dinner for the needy, which now provides gifts and meals to over 3,000 people. In 1991, Msgr. Woodrich’s good friend and founder of the church’s daily sandwich line, Msgr. John Anderson, returned as pastor. Throughout the late 1990’s, the Vincentians continued the mission of Holy Ghost Church.
Exactly 58 years after its dedication, Holy Ghost welcomed the Oblates of the Virgin Mary. Founded in 1826 by Fr. Bruno Lanteri, the Oblates bring a rich tradition of their own, specializing in preaching, confessions, spiritual direction and retreats. They have a tender devotion to the Virgin Mary, and profess firm allegiance to the Pope.
The Oblates opened the Lanteri Center for Ignatian Spirituality in Denver.
The Lanteri Center exists to make spiritual direction, daily prayer with Scripture, and the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius more available to those who seek holiness. The Lanteri Center also provides training and continuing education opportunities for spiritual directors.
You can find more details on the history of Holy Ghost and the Catholic Church in Colorado, in Thomas Noel's Colorado Catholicism.
Although the present Holy Ghost Church was dedicated on July 8, 1943, the parish has its roots in the 1860 construction of St. Mary’s Cathedral, the first Catholic church in Denver.
the cathedral parish was divided, and Holy Ghost became a parish under Fr. Frederick Bender; a pioneer priest of the diocese. He built a church at 20th and Curtis Streets, and furnished it with objects and vessels from the old St. Mary’s Cathedral. His successor, Fr. Garrett Burke, initiated Holy Ghost’s long-standing traditions of fine music and service to the needy. He managed the Catholic Workingman’s Club and hosted numerous concerts and musical programs.